Sunday 4 March 2012

Go easier on yourself..........

Was this week’s SYL Challenge set just for me personally?? Mmmm I think so.
I am in a constant battle with myself about EVERYTHING, from what I SHOULD be eating, to what I SHOULD weigh, to what extra curricula activities my kids SHOULD be doing, what my baby girl SHOULD be eating and doing, to well...... every aspect of my life. I am not happy that this battle rages in my head all the time. It’s a battle that will never be won as my personality is to please everyone at the cost of myself and my health – now I know this and still continue to be the person that never says no and always has time for everyone (except me).
So this week’s task was hard for me, but also timely.
My maternity leave (which technically finished in December – but I extended it to March) is up and I have to decide WHAT to do.  The battle of working or not working has raged inside my head for months!!!! The problem is that I don’t enjoy my job, I don’t get paid what I should and I think it would add way too much stress to my family’s life if I was to go back to work.( Mind you, my boss has only asked for me to return one day a week.) And the major downside – is that I am not ready to leave my baby girl.
I love being a stay at home mum. I love being there for every moment. I love being able to take my children to netball training or football, or wherever and not always saying, oh sorry mummy has to work. I have been the working mum and I don’t like that person. I like having dinner cooked every night (well nearly) and the house being tidy because I had time to do it. I don’t like the running around feeling like I am chasing my tail AND NEVER CATCHING UP!!!!
Some would say JUST stay home. Easier said than done. I feel that if I tell my boss that I cannot work, that I have let him down. That I owe him something...... I don’t owe him anything I know, but that’s how I feel.
Today I had a meeting with him and I was all strong and ready to say that I can only return to work if I work from home – which can be done to a fair extent in my position – BUT I went in there and the result was............no working from home, and I start next Thursday for one day a week........
Still, three hours later I feel deflated, sick, like a pushover, sad VERY sad and like a small child who doesn’t know what to do.
So this week’s task - Take time for some self reflection and see if there is anything in your life where changing your expectations / standards / approach could change your life. Is there something you can let go of (or approach differently) that does not currently serve you?
Mmmmm I know that I SHOULD be letting go of my job, HOW HOW HOW HOW!!!!!!!!
I think I should also let go of the fact that life is not perfect and that life will not end if my vacuuming or dishes are not done. This is a major thing I need to let go of. I need to let go of the little things that really do not matter………… but……… how!!!!! I could write a HUGE long list but perhaps just acknowledging them for now is good enough. And perhaps the big task of working/not working is such a major hurdle to get over this week, that I should put my energy into that.
Thanks Deb for such a timely challenge........

12 comments:

  1. Oh wow Paula what an honest post! The working/not working thing is certainly a big one isn't it! I work 4 days per week - but have found myself lately thinking how wonderful it would be to be a SAHM. I don't have a choice - I'm the main income earner and we couldn't survive without my wage, but boy would it be nice!
    And I think you are right, once you get your work situation sorted and are happy with it you can start to think about the other areas which don't need 100% of you.
    I would assume it's hard to give up your job altogether. It's a place where you are Paula - rather than someone's Mum! A little chance to be with adult company all day. But if you know deep down that you dont' want to do it anymore you need to think of yourself first (not your boss) and take that step.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bec. Yes it is nice being a SAHM and i love it, and i am lucky that we can choose for me to stay home. Its definetly a decision thats been weighing me down since day one of my maternity leave!!! I will get there!! Thanks for reading again this week :)

      Delete
  2. It is so hard, and a bit discouraging, when you get all gung-ho about something ... and then it doesn't go how you imagined. I suppose the good thing is that it is ONLY one day a week, and if you decide it is too much and you really don't want to do it, you can put in your resignation? *hugs* it sucks having to do things we don't want to do but maybe you'll be pleasantly surprised?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! Yes that would be the logical thing to do - give it a go!!! I will have to wait and see, major thinking going on in our household at the moment - and its all a bit much!!! The funny thing is, as soon as i make a decision it will be like, gee what was all that fuss about!!! Thanks for stopping by and reading :)

      Delete
  3. I love your honesty. I can talk myself out of something without even trying it sometimes. IF your truly not ready to go back to work then I think you know what the answer is. But if you can leave your little one and give it a try then I think you might be surprised. One day a week isn't much but might give you something outside of home to be of value. You must be great at what you do...your boss wants YOU back.

    I went to back to work with suck huge reservations but once I had given it a chance it was such a nice change from the stay at home thing that I wanted more...and mine was one day a fortnight!

    Just remember to make the choices for you! My haert goes out to you this week.

    Annaleis xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading - and commenting Annaleis!! And thank you for pointing out that my boss actually WANTS me back, hadn't looked at it like that!!! Ahhhh the dreaded choice..... at least i have a choice i guess. Oh well, this time next week it will all be over and i will hopefully breathing a sigh of relief!!! Thanks for the thoughts this week :)

      Delete
  4. Big hugs Paula - I think if you try the one day a week and wait to see how you feel after a month then you can give an honest evaluation for yourself. If you try (for him and for you i guess) and it does not work out then please know that you are not the first person to quit after maternity leave runs out - he will be disappointed, but he will also know really that it is normal and you are not being malicious. we can love our work and still decide to put ourselves first and any employer knows that.

    take away all the "shoulds" and just see what you and your family want and need!

    Deb @ home life simplified

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deb. Yes i really need to look at the whole situation without any SHOULDS and what we need or want. Ahhh it will all work out, its just the pressure we put on ourselves. Thanks for reading :)

      Delete
  5. I hear you Paula... I am also struggling with the decision of whether to return to work. I only work 1 day a week but have to make a decision about my parental leave soon - I have to make the decision to either teach on a part time basis or leave and (most probably) have to accept being a relief teacher - and hope one day that I'm still employable... which to be honest is unlikely if I only do 'relief'... It is such a tough one and I certainly don't have the answers but hope to in a few months. I also like the fact that I have time to keep on top of the jobs etc and have our weekends to do things but I'm scared if I make the wrong choice that 5 years down the track when kids are at school.... what then??? I am torn between giving my kids 'their life' and the fact that I still have a lot of 'my life' to lead as well... all this and trying not so be/sound selfish... agghhh...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes its a hard one!! I am in a bit of a lucky position though, my older children are 10 and 11 and i know that i am actually more employable now than i was 10 years ago, so i am not scared of not being able to get a job down the track, and you should try not to be too. You will actually have greater skills when your ready to go back, just choose whats right for you. Because i also have the benefit of knowing just how quick kids grow up, feels like yesterday my eldest was a baby. So i am really conscious of not missing out on these important first years. Ahhhhhh its hard!!! You dont sound selfish thinking about your own life, its hard sometimes to think of ourselves as just a mum, but i actually love that title and am quite content just being a mum, some people prefer more, we are all different!!! Good luck with your decision making....... x

      Delete
  6. Wow. Love your honesty in your post. I'm thinking similar thoughts about the whole work thing. With in the next few months I have to start thinking about going back to work but I love being at home with my eight month old. My head isn't ready for work yet. I have two careers which makes it even more difficult. I want to keep my finger in both professions but not keen to return to nursing even though the money is good. So much to think about. I love that my daughter is making it easier for me to stay at home at the moment and prolong the decision. She won't take formula and it takes forever for me to express so it's easier to stay at home at the moment he he. I hope all is going well with your decision. xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just got my cheque for over $500.

    Sometimes people don't believe me when I tell them about how much money you can earn by taking paid surveys online...

    So I show them a video of myself getting paid $500 for paid surveys to finally set the record straight.

    ReplyDelete