Tuesday 27 March 2012

Week Twelve - Where am I????

Week Twelve challenge is to look at where we are and how we are travelling, now that we have completed 12 weeks (WOW – time is flying past!!!)......
I would have to say that I am definitely in a better, happier place right now. I am much more open to ‘noticing’ the little things, and I am definitely more grateful..... And all thanks to Deb and her fantastic SYL Challenge.
I have found many challenges difficult and very confronting, and I think I lost a lot of readers with one post, but that’s ok, because I am not writing for people to read, I am writing to get my thoughts and feelings out of my head and clearing way for ‘good’ things!! I have fought with myself, and I have laughed at myself along the way. But I am starting to see little glimpses of the me I used to be....... I still feel down sometimes and life gets on top of me, but generally I feel much better than I did twelve weeks ago.
I have enjoyed spending time with my daughter by going on a horse trail ride (which I have been promising for nearly two years!!!). She loved it and I know she loved being able to spend time with just me, with no baby or anyone else around. We are going to try and complete a trail ride every few months. This has really pleased me, as I enjoyed sharing with my daughter an activity that I loved as a child.
I have tried to slow down, a big task for my busy life, but I think I have managed it a tiny bit. I now make sure I am home on a Friday with no activities at all. This is because I noticed that I really hit a wall on Thursdays and could actually spend the majority of the day in tears. By knowing that I could do nothing on Friday, it made it easy to get through the week. I made the decision to tell people I was busy on Fridays, and I only complete what NEEDS to be done housework wise. This has definitely been a positive change.
In trying to slow down, I also finally made the decision to quit my job!!!! It was such a hard decision, but once made I felt so happy and so light. It really is the best thing for me and my family that I am a stay at home mum. Its what I want, and I love being there for every moment with all of my kids. I love that I can be there for all the after school activites, all of the school assemblies or sports days, and really just there for every sad face and every smile and definetely every hug!! Some people don't enjoy being a stay at home mum, and thats ok, but I LOVE IT!!!!!
I have been able to finish organising my house!!! YAY...... Although, it is really an ongoing process. BUT, every room is tidy and everything has a place again and its sooo much easier to tidy quickly. I have not been able to tackle my ironing, mmmmm that’s because I hate it!! But, I will get there......... I am loving staying on top of the housework and little jobs that seem to pile up. I am also so much more calm. I used to be very particular and get very stressed if the floor was not sparkling and the rooms were not spotless, now, I accept that I live in my home with my family and it’s ok to have a ‘lived in’ house!!!!
I have been unable to lose any weight – but I am ok with that as I like me for me right now.
We have been able to catch up with my family many times in the last 12 weeks. And it has made me very happy!!!! I was very lucky to spend a week last week with my mum to celebrate my baby girls first birthday, and I was a bit sad to say goodbye. It has only strengthened by desire to have a family catch up every few months, so I am in the process of organising one for May.

Another positive change is that I designed, planned, executed and love my very own garden!!! I waited until my husband had gone away for the weekend, and I worked very hard but I am sooooo happy with the result. And so too is everyone else. I enjoyed the planning, the buying and even the getting dirty part. I am now thinking about my next project in another part of our garden, that I can put my stamp on!!!
I have been lucky to go to the movies (yes the actual movies!!! WITH NO KIDS!!!) twice in the last two months, I think I am very spoilt!!!! I enjoyed both times and it really shows that just by having a small amount of time away from being needed every second, can really invigorate one self. I am so glad that I made this a goal for this year!!!!
I have begun going to a playgroup every week, and to my surprise I love it. The first time I went I was like, no not going back, the people there are not my type of people, didn’t like it no I’m not going back..... Geeez how judgemental and wrong was I!!! I made myself go the next week and I actually really enjoyed it. Now I love it and look forward to going. I really like the women there, they make me laugh, I enjoy the conversations, and I actually have quite a bit in common with most of them. Now I just have to push myself further out of my comfort zone and ask the few women I really like to maybe catch up out of the playgroup session.........
I also began playing sport again. No more excuses I just jumped in and signed up to mid week netball. My sister in law baby sits for me, and I go off and play. I am LOVING it. It’s nice to have my own thing. I am so used to running around after everyone else’s sporting activities that I forgot just how much fun it is to PLAY!!!! I also took a bigger step out of my comfort zone and attended a training session to play Football/Netball on a Saturday afternoon with our local club....... I can say that ......... I got scared and backed away L ....... but it’s ok, I am a work in progress and I am happy that I started mid week netball....... baby steps, baby steps!!!!
Mmmmm it seems that I have made many changes towards achieving my goals, but I have noticed that life does seem to get in the way sometimes, but I am trying to be conscious of this and MAKE myself incorporate some of my goals into everyday life. Not only have I changed for the better, my family has also. My kids love asking how playgroup and netball went, and they enjoy seeing the new relaxed (a little bit), and happier mum!!! Our family life seems to running a lot more smooth and quieter.......Thanks Deb for inspiring this better me!!!!

12 comments:

  1. Wow Paula, your happiness just gushes out of this post, and it is so beautiful to read!

    Stepping out of your comfort zone is such a hard thing to do, but opens up so many possibilities, and hey, you can't win them all but you never know if you don't try right?

    Keep up the great work, putting you first is essential to a happy home life, don't ever feel like you shouldn't be xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kristen!!! I am glad that other people who read the post could feel where i am at right now, its a nice feeling to be feeling "up" and in control!! Hope you are doing well, i think of you often xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Paula, OMG this post is awesome and I have a tear in my eye as I read it. You have come such a long way and what I love the most about your post is the happiness I feel when I read it (I read it 3 times). So many great things to comment on I don't know where to start.
    thank you so much for your post but more importantly inspiring me. I love that you got to spend some one on one time with your daughter. it is so important. I need to do this to but with my Husband and i will arrange something for us very soon. I will step out of my comfort Zone too and reach for something that I want but have been avoiding because of my fear.
    Paula you are amazing and I so very Proud (yes proud - I searched for the right word here and well pround is it). I have followed your posts from the very start and it is great to see how far you have come. Well done and thank you. take care and I can't wait to read your next post. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwww thanks Rita!! Cant believe you read it three times!!!! :) I cant believe my words ro feelings can actuallu inspire someone else, thank you!!!! Dont be scared Rita - whats the worse that can happen??? And i am sure that the benefits probably outweigh the WHAT IFS!!!! You have just made me quite teary, yes i am a sook :) not many people have ever said they are proud of me, thank you it means alot. I have really enjoyed your journey too rita, and its great to be able to share such a big journey and change with others x

      Delete
  4. Paula this is just gorgeous!! I loved every word!! You have had an amazing journey over the past 12 weeks and I really can't wait to read your next 12 weeks xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mel, its such a great feeling to log on and see comments, and its so nice to see the familar people comment, it feels like i have meet new friends. Thank you for taking the time out of your busy life to read my ramblings :)

      Delete
    2. I also look forward to being here with you for the rest of the challenges Deb may set for us xxxx

      Delete
    3. It does feel like we have met new friends & I love that! I love that we are sharing this journey together xx

      Delete
  5. Oh wow this was an amazing post! You have achieved so much in such a short time, and it really shines through how much you are getting from the challenges.
    So much I want to comment on, but of course I won't remember it all.

    Firstly, a HUGE congratulations on quitting your job and being happy with your decision - making the decision is most of the battle. With that done you can now enjoy your family and not feel guilty!
    I'm with you on the movies, I've been twice in the last litte bit too (One for the money and the Hunger games). My sister and I try to get there every so often!

    Well done on finishing your house - ironing...what's that? haha. I don't iron - anything! hang things on coat hangers on the line and they generally don't need it!

    I love how you are trying to incorporate your goals into daily life! Well done on the challenge so far. I look forward to hearing about how you go over the next 12 weeks (and beyond!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bec!! Yes it has been a nice time with my family so far - guilt free!!! Its amazing how as soon as you make the decision, you feel so much better and wonder what all the stress was about!!! OHHHHHH i wish i didnt iron!!!! :) i am trying not to, and i am cutting down which is good, mind you, my ironing pile still stares at me everytime i open my walk in robe hahaha!!!! Thats great that you have been to movies too..... i have been wondering whether to see the hunger games..... was it good?? Thanks again for reading Bec :)

      Delete
  6. Paula I am finally trying to catch up and am so happy reading this post - you are amazing! So much it is incredible - from being brave enough to quit your job and go to the playgroup, creating a garden, going horse riding (on our family fun list for this year too) and taking time for yourself to go to the movies. Love it all. Most of all I love your Friday plan - smart and proactive - you recognized your limit and were kind to yourself instead of saying - get over it, push through, do more and be more - love it!!!

    Deb @ home life simplified

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thanks Deb, that means alot!! Yes it was a great post to write, it made me actually see where i was and that i had made great progress!!! Thanks so much for reading :)

      Delete